So I’ve officially been in my own apartment for nearly three weeks now and although it’s gone so fast there is so much I have learned since moving out. Having always lived in the same house for 23 years(!!) it was actually quite a big change to deal with however I absolutely love having my own place. I’ve learnt so many little things along the way and I wanted to round them all up for anyone else in a similar situation.
- Packing is the worst. I hated packing and I hated unpacking even more! So much so I still have around five boxes full of ‘stuff’ piled up in any spare corner.
- Home really is where the wifi connects automatically. For the first three weeks we had no internet connection at all which was so unsettling! Although we quite quickly got used to life without wifi it felt so much more like home the minute it connected.
- I love late night baking sessions. There’s something so comforting about putting on the TV and filling your home with the smell of freshly baked treats.
- Finding new routines is so fulfilling. One thing I overlooked was settling in to new routines. I absolutely love my mornings since moving out and always use them to my advantage!
- I love being the host. Even though I’m actually quite an introvert I love having guests around and being the host. A night filled with good food, your favourite people and not having to make it home after is just perfect.
- Sofa dinners, lunches and breakfasts. All meals eaten on the sofa feel like such a guilty pleasure and I can’t get enough.
- Cooking is one of my favourite things to do. I love sitting down to plan meals, discover new recipes and experiment with new ideas. It’s definitely my new love and I look forward to it every day.
- Creating a new comfort zone is so important. For the first few days I felt so out of place until I made it feel more like home with all of my familiar items. I already have a few favourite corners that I can’t wait to share.
- I am obsessed with peonies. I love flowers in general but peonies are currently taking up every shelf in the apartment right now! I wish they would last all year round.
- Pinterest is a dream and not the reality. Before moving out I spent hours scrolling through interiors on Pinterest with the hope that my new home would look like that. Although Pinterest is amazing for inspiration it really isn’t the reality just yet and that’s okay.
What have you learned since moving out?